Thursday 7 May 2009


To trust is good, not to trust is better... Isn't it?


Hello everybody!
Last Wednesday we discussed a very important issue, i.e. the risks of using the Internet. We listed them together, and came to the conclusion that the Internet, as just any other communication or knowledge tool, should be approached critically since it has pros and cons.


As far as I'm concerned, I don't like using technological tools in general: working on the computer, and particularly using the Internet, has always been frustrating for me. However, in modern society it's too important to use it, and if you don't use it you risk to feel alone. Particularly, the Internet is the most commonly used communication means: it allows people to exchange information and collaborate both synchronously and asynchronously.


I must admit that to protect myself I tend to use the Internet only when necessary, for example when I have to retrieve some interesting information, or for learning purposes - like in this case. I don't use Facebook or similar social network, and I avoid even writing emails because, if I have to say the whole truth, I don't know many people living distant from me, and I prefer seeing my best friends and speaking with them instead of reading their messages in front of a computer. I know, I'm a bit traditional but in so doing I have no problems with the information I put on the Internet. Obviously, I don't think that the solution to this problem is avoiding using it. As I've just said, there are too many activities in modern society that are linked to the use of this tool. I think the proper solution is to try to be responsible users, to learn how to take advantages from it instead of being damaged. We should avoid to put personal information on it because we know there's always the risk that other people use it. Finally, as concerns plagiarism I think that we should put restrictions to our work when we publish it. Our IPR should be respected, too. I'd react very negatively if I found out that someone has used my photographs or copied my original written work.


In short, the only thing we can do is to be careful, and always think twice before putting information on it. Remember that you're never really alone!

Here you can find some further information about how to use the Internet properly in order to protect yourself. Have a look at it! It's not a waste of time at all!


For today that's all!
See you next week!
Michela




2 comments on " "

Anny on 11 May 2009 at 03:48 said...

Hi Michela!
After having read your post, I can see that you too pointed out the importance of being careful when using the Internet, and your idea clearly emerges for your catchy title.
Your post is really well-structured on paragraphs, which make it clear the main subject of each and where you want to conduct the reader in order to make your conclusion. You clearly started explaining the crucial points we came through in class to then touching your personal sphere and experience with the Internet. I found that we are both “traditional” and that we often haven’t a good relationship with technology as we use it mainly for learning purposes and prefer paper staff.
However, we well know that in our everyday life it is essential to work with a computer and I hope that in the future we will feel less frustrated and more confident when using the Internet.
I must admit however, that I’m quite happy to see that you too don’t use Facebook, I don’t feel like a black sheep anymore!
I found it a nice idea that can arouse the interest of the reader when you added a link with some further information at the end of your post. Indeed, I was able to learn more in order to protect myself for the risks of the Internet.

Your language is clear, but here below I would like to suggest you some alternatives:
• Last Wednesday we discussed a very important issue, i.e. the risks of using the Internet. Here I’d write “we discussed about the risks of using the Internet” to be more straightforward.
• Particularly, the Internet is the most commonly used communication means. I think that I’d write “the Internet is one of the most commonly used means of communication”.
• I know, (here I wouldn’t put the comma) I'm a bit traditional (I’d put the comma here) but in so doing (I’d write “in doing so”)I have no problems with the information I put on the Internet.
• Obviously, I don't think that the solution to this problem is avoiding (I’d write “to avoid”) using it.
• As I've just said. Remember to avoid the Present Perfect, and use the present or the simple past. In this case, I’d write “as I said”.
• as concerns plagiarism, (I’d add a comma here) I think that we should put restrictions to our work when we publish it.
• I'd react very negatively if I found out that someone has used (use the simple past “someone used”) my photographs or copied my original written work.

I think that’s all!
See you soon,
Bye
Anna

Elisabetta on 13 May 2009 at 09:17 said...

Hi Michela!
Ha ha..I love the picture of your post!It perfectly represents the contents of your post an the risks involved in using the Internet!I really like your link to the Internet Security Manual: it's really interesting and useful! I think you can share it on Delicious. I read that you don't feel very 'technological, but I think that thanks to this course we are improving ;-)

I have some suggestions for you:
- in modern society it's too important to use it (I think it's better to write 'its use is too important', I prefere the nominal form ;-), and then you can simplify and write 'or you risk to feel alone')and if you don't use it you risk to feel alone.
-I don't use Facebook or similar social networkS (you forgot the plural 's')
-I don't know many people living distant(may be 'far' is better?) from me
-Obviously, I don't think that the solution to this problem is avoiding using it (here I'd write 'is to avoid its use')
-there are too many activities in modern society that are linked to the use of this tool (here i think you can write simply 'linked to this tool)
-We should avoid to put personal information on it because we know there's always the risk that other people use it (may be you can add here ' 'in a harmful way' to be more precise). Finally, as concerns plagiarism I think that we should put restrictions to our work when we publish it (her I'd write 'to our works when publish them' to make the sentence more general).
-In short, the only thing we can do is to be careful, and always think twice before putting information on it (here I think you can write 'the Internet' to be more direct).

See you tomorrow,

Elisabetta

Post a Comment

 

The fabolous world of Michela Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez