Friday 17 April 2009


Photo source

Tips for avoiding plagiarism

Hello everybody!
First of all, I really hope you had an happy Easter!
Now, let's keep on working!
I must admit that I became familiar with the concept of plagiarism only when I wrote my thesis. Soon I will have to start working on my dissertation, so I'm very interested in what I can do to avoid it. Searching the web, I found a lot of interesting information about plagiarism, in particular suggestions you can/should follow to avoid legal actions. The information that follows gives you details about plagiarism.

1-First of all, in my opinion it's important to say what a source is. As Aaron states, it can be anything, "a book, an article, a movie, an interview, a microfilmed document, a downloaded image, an anonymous newsgroup posting" (Avoiding Plagiarism).

2-The question you always have to ask yourself is whether the source you found is trustworthy, reliable or not (see this list of criteria).

3- The most common ways to avoid plagiarism are quotations, paraphrases, and summaries. You can write the author's exact words in quotation marks, or convey the same ideas with your own words and naming the souces you used. It's better to name the source within the text (e.g. "X says", "X argues, maintains, states,..."), and not just at the end of the paragraph. As far as correct quotation is concerned, the APA system and the MLA system are commonly used.

4-Internet sources have to be treated like the other kinds of sources. So you're supposed to give name of the author, date when you retrieved the information, title, and URL.

5-Another important distinction has to be drawn between information that is protected by Intellectual Property Rights and common knowledge: the former obviously needs the original source while the latter is part of the public domain. Unfortunately, it's not always so easy to decide whether a piece of information is common knowledge or not.


I saved some useful information about this issue in Delicious.
See you soon,
Michela


1 comments on " "

Anny on 29 April 2009 at 05:47 said...

Hi Michela!
Happy Easter to you too, even if a little bit late.
I found your reflective post on plagiarism very interesting with a proper layout with the use of numbers for each different information you found.
I found new useful information in the websites you suggested about plagiarism, and if you want you can find other in my delicious page.

Here I would like to suggest you some corrections:
Hello everybody!
First of all, I really hope you had an happy Easter!
Now, let's keep on working!
I must admit that I became familiar with the concept of plagiarism only when I wrote my thesis (I think here you should specify BA thesis). Soon I will have to start working on my dissertation, so I'm very interested in what I can do to avoid it. Searching (I think here you should add the preposition ON) the web, I found a lot of interesting information about plagiarism, in particular suggestions you can/should follow to avoid (you can also put TO PREVENT)legal actions. The information that follows gives you ( I would have added FURTHER to keep the coherence of the text)details about plagiarism.

1-First of all, in my opinion (I think that here you should decide between first of all and in my opinion, because it sounds a little bit heavy like this) it's important to say what a source is. As Aaron states, it can be anything, "a book, an article, a movie, an interview, a microfilmed document, a downloaded image, an anonymous newsgroup posting" (Avoiding Plagiarism).(nice example of in-text quotation)

2-The question you always have to ask yourself is whether the source you found is trustworthy, reliable or not (see this list of criteria).

3- The most common ways to avoid plagiarism are quotations, paraphrases, and summaries. You can write the author's exact words in quotation marks, or convey the same ideas with your own words and naming (I wouldn’t have used the –ing form, but the simple verb NAME) the souces (I think this is a typing mistake) you used. It's better to name (here I suggest you to put the verb TO MENTION, in order to avoid repetition with the previous sentence) the source within the text (e.g. "X says", "X argues, maintains, states,..."), and not just at the end of the paragraph. As far as correct quotation is concerned, the APA system and the MLA system are commonly used.

4-Internet sources have to be treated like the other kinds of sources. So you're supposed to give (THE) name of the author, (THE) date when you retrieved the information, (THE) title, and (THE) URL.(I think that if you add the definite articles the concepts are more specific)

5-Another important distinction has to be drawn between information that is protected by Intellectual Property Rights and common knowledge; (here I decided to split the sentence with a semi-colon to link two independent clauses) the former obviously needs the original source while the latter is part of the public domain. Unfortunately, it's not always so easy to decide whether a piece of information is common knowledge or not.


I saved some useful information about this issue in (here I would have used the preposition ON) Delicious.
See you soon,
Michela

Even if I am not sure that all my suggestions are proper, I hope you will find them useful. However, keep on with your writing method, I think that it is clear and concise.
Bye
Anna

Post a Comment

 

The fabolous world of Michela Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez